Kansas State University is committed to the growth and excellence of the CIS department. The department offers a stimulating environment for research and teaching, and has several ongoing collaborative projects involving researchers in different areas of computer science as well as other engineering and science departments. The department has a faculty of nineteen, more than 100 graduate students, and 300 undergraduate students and offers BS, MS, MSE, and PhD degrees. Computing facilities include a large network of servers, workstations and PCs with more than 300 machines and a Beowulf cluster with 100+ processors. The department building has a wireless network and state-of-the-art media-equipped classrooms. The department hosts several laboratories for embedded systems, software analysis, robotics, computational engineering and science, and data-mining.
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Search for Employment Opportunities
Administrative Assistant - Computing & Information Sciences Department at Kansas State University
Please refer to this link for more information: http://www.k-state.edu/hr/managers-supervisors/hiring/open-positions.html
Position Number: W0045841
Database Developer - Kansas Department of Agriculture's Food Safety Program
The Kansas Department of Agriculture needs a Database Developer for its Food Safety Program. Responsibilities include developing and maintaining data systems to support data analysis and quality assurance activities for the program. Activities include:
• Writing queries and reports from the Inspection Database (Proprietary/SQL Express), Licensing Systems (Oracle and Proprietary), and various Access tracking databases.
• Consolidating databases where possible.
• Developing new data management solutions, including researching software/hardware solutions, making recommendations, and implementing the solution.
• Aiding program with a new licensing system implementation including enhancements to create interoperability with other databases and automation of data transfer.
• Working with the QA Manager to develop user-level data systems to make data entry and analysis sustainable.
The position is temporary and is very flexible. Part time or full time is possible. Salary is negotiable. Possibility of developing into a longer term position. Come join the team that helps keep Kansas' food safe!
Contact Adam Inman at Adam.Inman@KDA.KS.GOV to apply.
Information Technology Consultant - Information Technology Assistance Center at Kansas State University
The Kansas State University Information Technology Assistance Center, Manhattan, KS, is seeking applications for an Information Technology Consultant. This position works as a part of a team that provides support for more than 1900 workstations and a variety of mobile devices (iOS, Android devices, Windows Mobile, etc.) in administrative department and academic departments across two of the university’s campuses as well as the Kansas Department of Agriculture and Kansas State Research and Extension which include county offices across the state of Kansas. The network environment includes the following platform components: Windows 7/Windows 8, Windows Active Directory and Apple Mac OS X.
Technical - Software & Operating Systems:
· Install, configure, and maintain software applications and operating systems
· Troubleshoot software configuration and usage problems
· Assist end users with questions and problems
· Train end users on proper use of software
· Make recommendations to customer departments and users for applications to fulfill business functional requirements. (Due to the diverse functional requirements of the customer departments and end users, a highly complex group of software applications must be supported)
· Design installation procedures for the deployment of software applications for end users
· Install server-based applications to be used in a typical client/server relationship.
· Comply with state, university, and departmental policies regarding installation and use of software applications
· Comply with vendor license requirements for software applications and operating systems
· Provide support for mobile devices (iOS, Android devices, Windows Mobile, etc.) and their integration with university systems such as email, calendaring and contact sync
Technical - Hardware:
· Install, configure, and maintain computer and peripheral hardware to include hardware repairs, upgrades and printer repairs
· Adhere to state, university, and departmental policies regarding hardware maintenance and use
· Make recommendations to customer departments and users for hardware based on analysis of functional requirements and compatibility with existing hardware and software
· Provide hardware repair for printers across campus
Work Request Coordination:
· Coordinate and assign work requests to the student technicians
· Determine priority for work requests and schedule appropriately within existing work conditions and quality of service parameters
· Document solutions to reported problems for future reference by the PC/Network Technicians
· Train PC technicians on current hardware/operating systems/software applications for installation, configuration, and troubleshooting procedures
· Devise improvements in the PC support operation, including improvements in technical procedures, technical training, collecting and organizing technical information, improvements in the use of incident management technology, etc.
· Work directly with customers to maintain a high level of service and address their needs, as well as keep customers informed of developments and issues pertaining to their incident or request
Distributed Application Deployment:
· Deploy distributed applications to the university staff
· Provide technical support for the client workstations by either collaborating with local technical support or by providing necessary support to complete the delivery and operation of the distributed applications
Research and Development:
· Research new technologies
· Produce reports for management analyzing the feasibility of new products
· Make recommendations for future hardware, software applications, and operating systems by analyzing the functional requirements of the customer departments and end users, while considering compatibility with existing hardware and software configurations
· Bachelors Degree, or three years of related coursework or employment experience in information technology
· Three years’ experience in a desktop support, help desk, and/or technical support environment
· Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in the configuration and administration of desktop operating systems (including Windows 7, Windows 8 and Mac OSX workstations) for users in a multi-user LAN environment
· Extensive knowledge and experience in the use of Windows applications such as word processing, spreadsheets and file manager software on Intel-based desktop computers in a multi-user distributed network-computing environment involving one or more LAN servers
· Extensive knowledge and experience with workstation hardware (installation, configuration, troubleshooting, repair and understand the relationship between the hardware and the operating system)
· Experience working in a fast-paced work environment, assisting staff with varied technical and business systems needs
· Analytical and problem solving skills to troubleshoot system problems
· Manage multiple high priority initiatives in a fast paces, highly technical environment
· Effective written and verbal communication skills; effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical IT issues to a non-technical public
· Demonstrated strong customer service skills
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Must be able to exercise individual judgment on solutions to problems, technology recommendations and service assistance
· BS in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field, plus one year of experience in electronics, electrical engineering, telecommunications. Five years of experience can be substituted for this qualification
· Hands-on training and/or experience in supporting user access to Windows Active Directory environment.
· Extensive knowledge and use of more complex Window-based applications, such as databases in a multi-user environment
· Experience with desktop management, such as Microsoft System Center Configuartion Manager
· Experience working in a higher education environment
· MCSE certification
· Broad experience with mobile devices and the support of mobile devices (iOS, Android devices, Windows Mobile, etc.)
Salary Range: $40,000 - $45,900
Applicants must submit:
- Cover letter reflecting how skills meet the requirements of the position
- Detailed resume or vitae
- Names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of at least three professional references
Submit application materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions may be directed to Viki Horan at email@example.com.
Screening of applications begins August 4, 2014, and will continue until position is filled.
For a full listing of benefits please visit http://www.k-state.edu/hr/benefits/unclass.pdf.
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Background check required of successful applicant.